Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Update On My Crazy Life on Scopolamine



This might alternately have been entitled,
"THINGS I LOVE".

Day 15
If I'm counting correctly . . . 
this would be day 15 in my recovery from 

whatever the issue was
that knocked my socks off
and changed life as I know it
after my surgery.

According to my myriad of physicians.
there is nothing they can account for
that would cause my world to be tilted at approximately 30 degrees.

They claim no understanding of the spinning or the rocking.
There is no medical cause for my dizziness,
the coming and going of peripheral vision
and extreme light sensitivity.

THE FACT THAT WHEN READING, WORDS WOULD MORPH INTO STRANGE LETTER COMBINATIONS WHICH MADE NO SENSE.
Tpy vufow rhinls alpwnef suygxxl.
(I love to read.) 



And how about the fact that I still could only randomly depend upon my
 motor skills 
to eat or brush my teeth or scratch my head?
(I love to eat.)

For the most part, I used to be able to do those things.
Generally speaking.
Prior to surgery.
(I love being able to do the simple things in life, 
like wash my face without poking my finger into my eye.)


Post surgery, my speech declined to a rate of
 v..e..r..y
S . . . l . . . o . . . .w.

Now it's just s.l.o.w.

Last week I demanded,
"I want my chiropractor!"

I told Dr. Chiropractor,
"Look at my condition.
You saw me several days before I had surgery on July 18th."
"What's happened to me?"

Dr. Chiropractor listened carefully, did a series of tests, 
and told me exactly what was happening in my central nervous system.
(I love when a doctor really listens to what I'm saying.)

He has seen this sort of reaction to drugs before,
and because he has spent a lifetime studying and teaching about the central nervous system,
he has a well thought out, researched and documented
 therapeutic 
plan
 for helping my brain and nervous system recover!
Turns out there have been studies done about people who suffer this sort of drug reaction.

Who knew?
(Should someone call my neurologist?)

I don't claim to understand what's happened, but he does.
He is helping me make progress.


Now my fork gets to my mouth most of the time.
I have stopped bumping into walls.
I'm only having to correct every third word when I type.

I am able to read somewhat more easily than I could last week.  

My taste buds and sense of smell rebounded within an hour of his first treatment.
Withing several hours, my stomach began to growl and things started happening!
I was alerted by my brain for the first time in weeks that I was hungry!

After his second treatment, my speech has improved dramatically.
The metallic, poisonous taste in my mouth has all but gone away.

I'm not tripping like I was.
(I'm referring to my ability to walk 
without stumbling into or over objects.)
(I love to be able to walk)


My hands stopped shaking.




Not everything has miraculously returned to normal,
but
 I'm no longer afraid and ashamed to answer my phone 
because people won't be able to understand my speech!

Movement,
 especially in a car where landscape and light and
 other moving objects
fly past in my peripheral vision,
enhances my dizziness,
but
I can recover from that dizziness by sitting still for some time.
Calmness, stillness and dim light promote the leveling and steadying of my world.

It is still awkward to try and achieve much
in my day.

I'm puttering about the house more,
doing some housekeeping

 and personal grooming.
(I love it when I smell clean.)

Friends are driving me to doctor appointments.

I took out the trash.
I walked to my mailbox
(hey - it's a block away!)

My bed gets made.

I'm checking email every few days.


My friends are holding down the fort at 
Patina Antiques!
Bless you Anne and Deb.

Rox has been in and out delivering and shuttling inventory
and getting my deposits made.

Lisa calls me three times a day to be sure I'm still breathing and upright.
(I love my friends.)

The thought of blogging crosses my mind, but as you can see,
I haven't been achieving very much.

I have been focusing on the expedient
rather than the creative . . . 

So, today my friend Zoe took a batch of phone photos of my spaces at 
The Gallery.
She suggested they might need some consideration
because they're beginning to miss me.
I'm looking at the photos via her text message!
(I love my phone that can do text photos.) 

I called brother dearest, who has been remodeling my daughter's 
house in Evergreen while he's visiting from Florida.
(I love my family.)

Tomorrow, after being shuttled to the doctor,
I'm going to attempt my first foray into 
the world 

and see if I can lean against some solid, steady object,
 and 
give direction to these kind assistants 
who will be my hands and feet.

Perhaps . . . 
I will accomplish something creative and productive

we'll see . . .



(I love my chiropractor.)

2 comments:

  1. Praise God! That's GREAT progress and I believe the Lord will complete the healing HE has started. Still praying in Monument! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thank you for all your prayers. Just returned from another therapy session, and am feeling like my speech is picking up some more! Prayers are being answered! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...