Saturday, January 4, 2014

Cooking In A Snow Storm

In my previous blog post I told y'all that I am trying 
Door To Door Organics

a local company
 that delivers all organic products to my door.


(Hence that catchy name.)

I got home Wednesday and there were my two perfect boxes
all insulated with ice packs.

I found everything I'd ordered, clean, cold, wrapped meticulously and perfectly packed.  


Eight Meals
This afternoon I began by browning organic beef and putting it into my slow cooker
with carrots and potatoes to simmer into a hearty beef stew with organic beef broth.
It appears I will have enough for 8 servings, so I'll refrigerate several portions and freeze some in lunch/supper sizes.
I usually end up making vegetable soup with several of these by adding whatever fresh veggies I have on hand which stretches even further.

Two Meals
I preheated my oven, breaded my organic pork chops and washed my yams.
Into the oven it all went.

Eggs went into a pot to hard boil for some lunches.

Steamed some organic broccoli.

Washed and cored my apples and prepped them to go into the oven
 when the chops and yams came out.

I now have two pork chop suppers with yams, broccoli and baked apples.

I sampled the yams while I waited for the apples, and I can truly say I haven't tasted any as sweet and delicious as these since I was a child in the south, and we grew our own.


Eight More Meals
Tomorrow, I'm making a white bean, kale and sausage soup . . . . and will top it with freshly grated Parmesan.  (Organic - don't you know?)
  Great with croutons made from my organic whole grain bread and butter and garlic. 

Apparently,
I,
 who am cooking only for one most of the time,
 and who loves to eat out with friends several times a week,
now have 18 meals on hand.

Not to mention, salads with avocados and the most delicious tomatoes I've eaten in years.
Not to mention the organic pears I'm adding to salads with crumbled bleu cheese and walnuts.
Not to mention the eggs and toast and half and half and breakfast items.
Do you know that there is such a thing as 
organic bacon?
Yes, Virginia 
there
 IS
 fresh, Colorado, grain fed, humanely grown, free range, organic, happy bacon.



Next week's offerings just popped into my email inbox.

I'm ordering salmon and chicken 
and 
I'll let you know how that works out.

P.S.
My juicy, tender, thick, crisp,
pork chop supper is
 AWESOME!

Now, being the sort of borderline skeptic that I am about new things . . .
I'm still waiting to figure out how this is all going to fall apart and somehow disappoint me.

Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...