Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Aging Your Terra Cotta Pots


If you've ever bought terra cotta pots and they seemed too pristine, 
there is a simple process for "aging" them and achieving that sweet patina many of us insist upon. 

 I've heard of several "recipes" for mellowing the clay, but this one is simple.  
Take a piece of sandpaper and lightly scuff the pot - not all over, but here and there. 

 Soak it in water for a few minutes.  (While you scuff the next ones.)

Place them in a container and pour buttermilk or yogurt over them. 
 Make sure you smear them up well.
Cover the whole smelly mess and place it outside for a few days. 
 The pots will soak up the acidophilus and it will grow in the nice moist clay.
Voila: aged pots!

2 comments:

  1. I was just staring at my way-too-new pots...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I poured white paint in a container and added lots of water, dunked my pots in. Some I left longer than others, which achieved different variations. Let them dry. Damp paper towel to scruff here n there. They look good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...